Saturday 16 July 2011

No more itchy head: QV Gentle Shampoo and Conditioner review

I recently had my skin analysed by a beauty therapist and to my surprise she said that it was sensitive. She also mentioned that people who have allergies often also have sensitive skin. I am allergic to quite a few things, so what the therapist told me got me thinking - could I also have a sensitive scalp? My head is a bit itchy at times but I always just assumed that this was normal, but maybe it isn't. Maybe I do have a sensitive scalp as well. When the opportunity to trial the QV Gentle Shampoo and Conditioner came along, I thought that it would be a great chance to see whether they could make a difference to my itchy scalp.



The QV Gentle Shampoo and Conditioner are free from the known irritants soap, colour, fragrance, propylene glycol and lanolin so are perfect for people with sensitive skin and scalps. They are also pH balanced so are suitable for daily use.


QV Gentle Shampoo: This is a gentle, non-irritating shampoo that effectively cleanses the hair whilst rehydrating the scalp. This had next to no scent at all - it smelt like other QV products such as the lotion or body wash. It lathered very effectively and left my hair clean - there was no need to repeat. The shampoo wasn't at all drying - my hair felt soft, even prior to conditioning. This shampoo easily performed as well as any shampoo I have used. I can't comment on how it goes in regards to stripping colour as I haven't coloured my hair in a few months. I have no complaints at all with this shampoo. I can definitely see myself using it again. RRP $9.95. 200ml. Available in Australia from pharmacies and Priceline stores.

QV Gentle Conditioner: This has a gentle conditioning formula which helps to lock in moisture without leaving product build up. It contains pro-vitamin B5 which helps improve elasticity and reduces fly away’s. Like the shampoo this has virtually no scent. It is actually much more slippery then conventional conditioners I have used in the past. It felt quite slimy when I applied it to my hair which took me by surprise as it was a texture I wasn't familiar with compared with conditioners I had used in the past. Once I got over my initial surprise I was very happy with this conditioner. It took a little bit of effort to rinse out, but that was also due to me getting used to the slipperiness. My hair would still feel a bit slippery after rinsing but then when it dried it didn't look greasy like it does if I haven't washed my conditioner out properly. I found that I could get away without putting product in my hair after washing and my curls were fairly well defined. By the end of the day they would be a bit fluffy so I would need product if I wanted to maintain their definition but it was fine for everyday use. Like the shampoo, I was impressed with this conditioner and can see myself using it again in the future. RRP $9.95. 200ml. Available in Australia from pharmacies and Priceline stores.


After using the QV Gentle Shampoo and Conditioner for a week my head definitely feels less itchy. I washed my hair daily (like I normally do) and noticed after a couple of days that I was not scratching my head nearly as much as I had been. The only issues I had with the products, and these are quite silly really, was the colour of the packaging. I loved that the bottles were different colours so I could tell them apart without my specs on but for some reason I associate the colour white with conditioner so every day, without fail, I'd pick up the blue bottle to apply shampoo, only to find out it was the conditioner. Does anyone else have this colour association with conditioners or am I a bit crazy?


All opinions stated in this blog are my own. I have no affiliation with QV and received no remuneration for my comments. These were provided to me by Beauty Directory on behalf of QV.