Monday 4 June 2012

Get Tousled with Herbal EssencesTousle Me Softly

I have quite curly hair so when I was given the option of trialling the range I thought that it would be perfect for me. Most days I want as minimal maintenance as possible - I want to wash my hair and be done though I don't mind styling when I am going out.


Tousle Me Softly Shampoo and Conditioner $5.95 each 300ml
The first thing I noticed about the shampoo and conditioner was the scent. It is described on the packet as being a violet scent but to me its more of a fruity floral scent but it is absolutely gorgeous - one that I would like to wear as a perfume.

I have naturally curly hair and don't really need to do anything to get defined curls. My hair is also a bit oily. I found the shampoo cleaned it really well, although I did need to wash it every day (though this is the case with every shampoo). It left it beautifully fragranced and soft, and it did not appear to strip my colour at all.The conditioner also left my hair beautifully fragranced and soft and completely tangle free, and really shiny. It did help to define my curls, but left them a little bit fluffy if I didn't put any product in.

All in all I was very happy with this shampoo and condition. I especially loved the fragrance which really lingered in my hair - much longer than other shampoo/condition fragrances. I loved how it left my hair really soft, clean and completely de-tangled. The only thing that I wasn't 100% satisfied with was that it did leave my curls a little fluffy - this wasn't a problem if I used product in my hair, but some days I just want to wash my hair and race out the door and when i did this my curls weren't as defined as I would have liked them to be.
This is ideal for people with wavy hair as it will really accentuate your gorgeous waves. It can still be used by those of us with curly hair, though I'd recommend also using a styling product to get your curls really defined and not fluffy looking.

Tousle Me Softly Spray Gel RRP $6.50 170ml
In the past, I haven't liked using gels as they made my hair look too crispy. I would always inadvertantly apply too much and end up that stiff slicked down rock hard look which I really hated. If I ever did have to use hair gel in moments of desperation, I would always mix it with water to get it to a more manageable consistency - so, this product being a spray gel meant that it was already one step ahead of tub gels as it was already the perfect consistency for me.

I applied it after I had washed my hair with the Tousle Me Softly shampoo and conditioner. I towel dried my hair, combed it, sprayed this through my still damp hair about 5 or 6 times, then scrunched it and let it dry. It left me with really defined bouncy, beautiful curls. I was actually really impressed as I was expecting the curls to still be a bit on the hard side/crispy but they weren't at all - they were beautifully bouncy and natural looking.
The scent is the same gorgeous fruity violet scent which is the most beautiful perfume for you hair.

I would highly recommend this to anyone with thick unruly curly hair as it makes it so easy to get your curls back in control and leaves them so well defined. I will definitely buy this again.


Tousle Me Softly Hair spray $6.50 236ml
The first time I used the hair spray I put way too much in (about 20 sprays worth) and it did leave my hair looking and feeling crispy. I applied it at the end of the day on dry hair before going out to dinner in a hope to reinvigorate my hairstyle but instead it left my hair crispy and just set in my dodgy end of day hair style.

The next time I used it, I applied it after showering on my towel dried hair. I simply combed my hair, sprayed the hair spray on (about 5 of 6 squirts) then gently scrunched my hair and let it air dry. I was left with beautifully defined, soft bouncy curls that weren't at all crispy but were soft to touch and they remained defined for the whole day.



Tousle Me Softly Mousse RRP $6.50 192g
The mousse comes in a fairly big bottle and is easy to apply - a 2 second squirt gives you a mountain of mousse to work with. The instructions on the booklet attached to the product say to apply it to your roots and work it through your hair; however, my hair already has stacks of volume and I hate it when I put too much product on the roots and they look crispy. So, instead, I washed my hair (with the Tousle Me Softly shampoo and conditioner) then towel dried it then combed my hair. I then turned my head upside down and scrunched my curls with the mousse, working it through the ends of my hair. It did leave my curls very well defined and they didn't frizz up or drop at all during the day. They did feel a little bit crispier than I would normally like; however, when I looked in the mirror they didn't look crispy and were still nice and bouncy.

This product would be perfect for those with finer hair that need a bit more volume. I liked this product a lot - it did leave my curls looking beautifully defined; however, I probably wouldn't buy it again but that is only because the spray gel is better suited to my hair type - so for finer hair wanting to define curls, definitely give this a try but if your hair is more on the thicker side you might want to give the spray gel a try instead.

If you don't have naturally curly hair, the mousse can be used to create curls. Apply the mousse to your hair then twist chunks of your hair around your fingers to create curls.

Of the three styling products, I found the spray gel was most suitable for my hair type.


Win the entire Tousle Me Softly range!

If you think that this range might be suitable for you then you are in luck as I am giving away two packs, worth over $60 each, that contain the entire Tousle Me Softly range. Click here to enter.


Have you tried this range before? What was your favourite product. If not, what do you use to define your waves and curls?


All opinions are my own and I received no remuneration for this post. These products were provided to me by Beauty Heaven as part of their trial team. The prizes for this competition were provided by Herbal Essences. All images are courtesy of Herbal Essences.