Sunday 14 October 2012

L'oreal Paris Revitalift Total Repair 10 BB Cream

Lately, there has been a huge explosion of interest in BB Creams. BB (Blemish Balm) creams are an all in one product - they are your serum, moisturiser, primer, foundation and sunscreen all rolled into one nifty product. They have been really popular in Asia (in particular Japan and Korea) since 1985 but really only hit the Western market in 2012. Now the big brands are jumping on the BB bandwagon and are releasing their versions of the product. L'oreal Paris is one such big brand and they have incorporated their hugely popular Revitalift Total Repair 10 serum into the BB formulation.

I was pretty excited to try the L'oreal Paris Revitalift Total Repair 10 BB Cream as I had never tried a BB cream before plus Revitalift Total Repair 10 moisturiser is one of the best moisturisers that I have used so I thought that it would be a great introduction into the world of BB creams...perhaps not? I had very mixed feelings about this product which I will go through below.




What they say: The L’Oreal Laboratories have created the first Anti-ageing BB Cream that instantly perfects your complexion and intensely fights 10 signs of ageing, even UV damage in one simple step:
  • Covers Imperfections
  • Perfects Skin Texture
  • Evens Skin Tone
For the first time, L’Oréal’s skincare and make-up Laboratories have merged their expertise to create a new generation of skincare, an Anti-ageing BB Cream. It fights 10 signs of ageing and instantly gives you a beautiful and even complexion.

What I say: As I mentioned above, I had very mixed feelings about this product. There were aspects that I loved but then there were other areas that I had real issues with.

I will go through what I loved first:
  • It was easy to apply - it applies just like a moisturiser. I love any product that I can apply with my fingers!
  • It really does even out my complexion. The coverage is heavier than a tinted moisturiser but lighter than a foundation.
  • The pump pack makes it easy for dispensing the right amount - just don't press the button all the way down otherwise you'll end up with way too much.
What I didn't like:
  • The darkness of the light shade. It was a actually quite a good match for my skin however my skin isn't all that pale so I imagine that it would be too dark for a lot of people.
  • I found in natural light this looked quite natural on my but in artificial light it made me look a bit orange.
  • Even though it was easy to apply with my fingers, the final result was quite streaky. From a distance you can notice it but up close it was quite patchy - you will see this in the pics below.
  • After it dried, if I was to touch it it would ball up and peel off. I tried reapplying to freshen it up and it immediately balled up and peeled off. You would have to completely remove it before you could reapply it. This might be why it appeared patchy - I probably accidentally peeled areas off.



 
Before application - so you can see the colour match

After application - the colour match is quite good for my skin tone -
it evened out my skin tone and from a distance looks nice

Up close you can see how patchy it is - there is a clump between
my eyes and a few missed areas on my cheeks
 

Perhaps I just need to practice the application a little bit more and the results might be more even. But all in all I don't see myself using it again. Yes, it saves a step compared with applying moisturiser then foundation but I still prefer the look of moisturiser plus foundation as you can match the colour to your skin better and can reapply foundation as needed without it balling up.


Have you tried a BB Cream before. Should I give them another go or just stick with moisturiser + foundation?


All opinions are my own and I received no remuneration for this post. This product was provided to my to review as part of BeautyHeaven's trial team.