Monday 22 August 2011

International Makeup Artist Trade Show (IMATS): what, where, when, how?

I had heard a bit about the International Makeup Artist Trade Show (IMATS) on beauty forums but, to be perfectly honest, had paid little attention to it as I had assumed that it was only open to makeup artists. It wasn't until I found out that it was part of the itinerary for the Australian Beauty Bloggers Weekend (ABBW, a beauty blogging conference I am going to - more about that later), did I stop and take notice.

Since I was now going, I decided to research the event a little bit more. I kind of imagined that it was just like a giant makeup store with a million different brands, but have since found out that it is so much more. It is not just about your typical beauty/wedding type makeup (although there is that), it also encompasses stage/theatrical makeup and special effects. You can see what I mean from the photos posted below. IMATS is actually an international event (you might have already worked that out from the 'International' in the title!). There are shows in London, Vancouver, Toronto, New York, Los Angeles and, of course, Sydney. Each of the photos below have been collected from the  IMATS website, and are an excellent representation of what to expect at the show.

London

Vancouver

Toronto

New York

Los Angeles

Sydney

There will be plenty to see at IMATS. Each year there is a student competition and the looks these students create really are works of art. Have a look at the gallery of last years winners to see what I mean. In addition, there are master classes and key note addresses you can attend, in particular is an address by Napoleon Perdis, which I am hoping to attend.

Now, you are probably wondering whether you can buy anything at IMATS? Absolutely! I am not entirely sure whether the prices will be discounted, I have heard in places that they are but then others say that the discount is not that much. I think it is more the convenience of having every makeup brand imaginable under one roof. The full list of exhibitors can be found here; however, brands I am particularly excited to check out are:
  • Inglot
  • Make Up For Ever
  • MAC
  • Napoleon Perdis  
Though, as the day draws nearer, and I start studying other people's shopping lists, I'm sure the list of brands that I want to see will explode.

So, what am I going to get? I am not entirely sure. I am going to Hawaii in February so am planning on going on a little (or not so little!) shopping spree there so don't know whether to get anything or not at IMATS. I think my plan will be to take $100 spending money and if I can get any of these for around that then I probably will. My shopping list, thus far:

Make Up For Ever Aqua Liner RRP $35
I probably don't need one of these liners but they look so pretty. I might have a play and see if I can resist!

Inglot Freedom palette
Inglot do Freedom palette's in a variety of sizes, ranging from two shades up to 40 (though I haven't seen the Freedom 40 in Australia). You buy the palette for a certain price then select whatever colour eye shadows, blushes or lip colours to fill the palette. I have heard absolute rave reviews about Inglot eye shadows, in regards to pigment, texture and staying power, so want to get the biggest palette I can, though that might not be realistic!

Yaby World of Pearl Palette RRP $149
I desperately want to get this palette. I have heard so many good things about it. But I am not prepared to pay $149. I am not entirely sure whether Yaby will be at IMATS Sydney. I have seen that Yaby exhibited at some of the other IMATS but can't find their listing at the Sydney show. My temptation may be removed! Another brand that I am not sure whether will be exhibiting but I would love check out is Sleek Make Up. How cool does this Sleek Acid palette below look!

IMATS Details:

LOCATION:Sydney Convention Centre
Darling Drive
Sydney, NSW Australia

Date:
Saturaday, September 24th
Sunday, September 25th

HOURS:
Saturday, 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m.
Sunday, 10 a.m.-5 p.m.

IMATS is open to the public. No make-up artist credentials are required to get you in the door.

Ticket Prices:
1 day pass: $40.00
2 day pass: $65.00

Tickets can be pre-purchased here or at the door unless sold out prior (if you are keen to go, I'd pre-purchase to avoid disappointment.
So, who will be going to IMATS Sydney this year? I will be attending on the Saturday. Is anyone else going then? If you are going, have you compiled a shopping list yet? If you have then please spill because I know I am going to be totally overwhelmed and bamboozled once I walk through the doors!