Wednesday, 11 September 2013

Jurlique Herbal Recovery Advanced Serum

I have long been a huge fan of Jurlique's Herbal Recovery Gel. It was my go to serum in my 20's. I would put it on, of an evening, and in the morning my skin would look amazing: plump, hydrated and happy. Now that I have hit my 30's I thought that a more serious anti-ageing serum was in order and so decided to take the Jurlique Herbal Recovery Advanced Serum for a test drive.



What they say: This youth defence concentrate serum features a proprietary active complex: Naturadiance PB18+ to help reduce the appearance of fine lines, help increase elasticity, restore radiance and increase hydration, while antioxidants create a natural defence shield to help protect against environmental aggressors. Leaves skin visibly glowing, hydrated and younger-looking. Our exclusive Naturadiance PB18+ complex combines 15 Bio-Intrinsic TM botanical extracts with 3 breakthrough ingredients to deliver potent antioxidant properties to help protect, revitalize and enhance your skin’s recovery cycle.
  • Persian Silk Extract to help strengthen skin cell capacity to shield against environmental stress.
  • Whu-Zhu-Yu Extract possesses excellent microcirculation boosting and skin smoothing properties.
  • Peach Leaf Extract to help recover skin vitality and promote cellular regeneration.


What I say: This serum promises to improve skin texture, hydration/fine lines, smoothness and skin health. I can definitely confirm that it improves skin hydration - the effect is almost instant. My skin drinks up this serum. And by becoming hydrated, the fine lines vanish.

The serum has fantastic astringent properties that really leave the skin feeling taut. So it also improves the texture of the skin making it look perfectly smooth and, again, the fine lines are ironed out.

However, and rather unfortunately, I did a an issue with the serum. It stung when I applied it and left my skin looking red and feeling a little bit raw. I think that it might be a bit too strong for me, or perhaps I am reacting to one of the ingredients. I persisted with using it but each day it got slightly more stingy and slightly more red. I currently reviewing quite a few different products so it is possible that all of this chopping and changing has left my skin a bit sensitive. I am going to give it a break, let it recover then give this another try to see how it reacts...fingers crossed, there are no issues second time around.

Other than aesthetics, this serum is hands down the best smelling serum I have smelt. Very rosy. Whereas the original Herbal Recovery Gel smells herbally (and a little bit fermenty in a strangely pleasant way) this smells strongly of rose with faint herbal undertones. I personally love it but be prepared for a very strong smelling serum.

In summary, I LOVE the smell of this serum; I LOVE the astringent properties that leave my skin looking taut; I LOVE he intense hydration but the sensitivity and redness that it has caused in my skin is a bit of a concern. I will give it a second chance once my skin has calmed down a bit and report back with the results but at this stage it looks like I might be sticking with the original Herbal Recovery Gel.

The Jurlique Herbal Recovery Advanced Serum retails for $75.00/30ml or $165.00/100ml and can be found at David Jones, Myer, selected Chemists or online.

Have you ever desperately wanted to love a product but had it not work for you?


All opinions are my own and I received no remuneration for this post. This product was provided for consideration as part of Beauty Heaven's trial team.