Thursday, 8 August 2013

What's In-die Box: An introduction to Australian indie nail polish

How have I not heard of the Australian indie nail polish scene until now? I'm obsessed with nail polish yet I had no idea that there are a whole bunch of talented people out there making and selling their own nail polish creations. I think it is either because up until 2 weeks ago I had never been on Instagram and I also never really check out Etsy. Since discovering Instagram, I am seeing hundreds of awesome mani's using really funky polishes that I had never previously seen before as well as all of these cool indie brands.

One really cool concept I discovered was the What's In-die Box. I have written about, in the past, the huge sample box craze that has hit Australia. You will often receive a nail polish in these boxes; however, there wasn't a box dedicated entirely to nail polish. Well, now there is. It was started by Glam Polish in June and each box contains 5 polishes from 5 different Australian indie nail polish brands. The polishes in each box are either created specifically for the box or are new releases so you are guaranteed to not have them in your collection. Each box has a different theme - the June box theme was Toy Story; July was Little Miss; August was Wreck it Ralph and pre-orders are now being taken for the September box which theme is Sex and the City. I am particularly excited about this one - I am imagining Carrie to be sparkly with lots of silver and grey...or possibly pink; Samantha I see as being vixen red; Miranda - green (no idea why, I just image her green for some reason); Charlotte - blue; and for the fifth polish maybe a black one for Big?? Who know's - that is just my guess! They might not even do a polish for each of the girls, perhaps they go with a NY theme. That is the exciting thing about the box - you have no idea what you will receive! The boxes cost $47.99 plus $7.95 P+H. You don't subscribe - you just pre-order each month if you want to receive it. I don't see myself ordering one every month but maybe for special occassions - like my bday in Sep; my Nanna's b'day in Oct; Christmas in Dec; my wedding anniversary in Jan; Easter in March; Kiki's b'day in April; Mothers Day in May; my sister's b'day in July (but she lives in Japan so I would have to hang onto it here!!); my husband's bday in August (can someone please help me think of special occasions that will allow me to order one in Nov, Feb and June!!!).




Have a look at these blogs if you want to see what was in the June and July boxes (Aug hasn't been sent yet)
June What's In-die Box reveal from:
Lab Muffin
Dry Dammit

July What's In-die Box reveal from:
Dry Dammit
More Nail Polish

If you would like to order the September box (which has the theme Sex and the City) you can order it from Peita's Polish Etsy Store (here is the link to the box). I just had a look and there are 18 boxes left so don't wait too long to make your mind up! Orders close on 24th Aug unless sold out sooner and the boxes are expected to ship on 9th Sep.

Have you already discovered the Australian indie polish scene? What are your fav brands?

Do you like the idea of a polish box or does the thought of being sent random polish colours scare you?


All opinions are my own and I received no remuneration for this post. I have pre-ordered and paid for the September box with my own money (Crazy and Kiki will be giving it to me for my birthday!).