Saturday, 3 August 2013

Marc Jacobs Honey and a week of #MJHoneySpots

For the last week, my Honey perfume has been going everywhere with me. I was set the challenge to capture photos of Honey in spots that hold a sweet spot in my heart (#MJHoneySpots) and upload them to Instagram (which I have only just discovered, BTW!). I thought that I would share with you the sweet spots that I selected, but, before I get to those I will review Honey.

What they say: Honey by Marc Jacobs is a sunny delicious floral - energetic and alluring, with a sparkling, golden touch. The perfect mix of brightness and warmth. The fragrance energizes with the freshness of green pear brightened with a splash of fruity punch and juicy mandarin. At the heart of the fragrance is orange blossom, a note of sparkling femininity that mingles with nectars of honeysuckle and peach. Honey, vanilla and smooth woods dry down to a warm, golden base.

Top Note – Pear, Juicy Mandarin
Mid Note – Orange Blossom, Peach Nectar, Apricot, Honeysuckle
Base Note – Honey, Golden Vanilla, Smooth Woods

What I say: I have to start by saying how damn cute is that bottle. You are not suppose to leave your perfume out as sunlight can degrade it, so I keep mine on a shelf in my cupboard. It feels like a bit of a crime hiding this gorgeous perfume bottle away!

Prior to receiving this fragrance, I hadn't smelt it nor had I read anything about it so I was just expecting it to smell like honey. In hindsight, it would have been pretty unoriginal of a company to name a perfume after exactly what it smells like!

First impressions were that it was a sweet fruity floral. I couldn't put my finger on what fruit I was smelling until I read the description and though 'yes, mandarin!'  Once I knew that it was mandarin I could detect it quite easily. The pear was not as noticeable to me. I think it more provided the juicy sweetness.

The intense fruity top notes last around 5-10 minutes before being replaced by the fruity floral middle. I thought I could still detect mandarin but perhaps it was more the peach I was smelling. Either way, the juicy fruitiness was complimented beautifully by the heady honeysuckle. It is a fragrance that just makes you want to continuously sniff your wrist to get another hit of it. The dry down starts to appear after about four hours and you are left with a creamy sweetness with subtle hints of floral. I didn't detect the honey, per se, however you are definitely left with a real sweetness at the end.

I found the perfume to last a decent amount of time on me - I would say that it could be detected for about four hours before it would need to be reapplied. I could still smell it on me after six hours but think that it would be too subtle for others to detect. Honey had medium silage. Up close others could smell it on me but I found that it didn't really a fragrance trail when I walked away.  

Honey actually reminds me a lot of Gucci Flora Glorious Mandarin (which I have reviewed here). I think that it is the dominant mandarin notes. It is funny, as a rule I do not like citrus fragrances and would not ordinarily choose a fragrance that smells like mandarin yet I adore both of these. I think it is because mandarin is a sweet citrus note - it doesn't have the sharpness of lemon, grapefruit or orange. It must be that sharpness that turns me off. But I have found that the addition of mandarin in these two fragrances really makes them sparkle. Initially, these two fragrances are quite similar but as they dry down that become very distinct. Once Gucci Flora Glorious Mandarin loses the fruity mandarin notes, it becomes more of a straight up floral whereas Honey keeps it's fruity notes right until the end.

Honey screams spring to me with its sweet fruity notes. It is a really happy, fun fragrance that is a pleasure to wear. I found it to be more of a daytime fragrance than a night time one but, come summer, this one would be perfect to wear on those warm balmy nights. I really feel that this is going to be a fragrance that I teach for often as the weather begins to warm up. When it comes to fragrance I am usually more of a straight up floral kind of girl but I am loving the mouth watering juiciness of Honey. It is this fruitiness that makes it such a joyous fragrance to wear.

The price of Marc Jacobs Honey is: $75 for 30mL; $120 for 50mL; $160 for 100mL. It is available on shelf: Aug 25, 2013

Now for my sweet spots:

Mona Vale beach on a stunning winters day

Watching the boats go by (Bayview)

A gorgeous end to a beautiful day (out the front of my home in Artarmon)

Being warmed by the winter sun in my court yard

Chilling in my courtyard on another stunning winters day 

One of my sweet hearts sweet spots - the toy room

We all have our own special sweet spots - this is my son's. Watching the
trains go by from a bridge in Chatswood

Will yo be reaching for Honey once it hits shelves at the end of August? What is your ultimate sweet spot?


All opinions are my own and I received no remuneration for this post. Honey was provided for cosideration.