Friday, 5 July 2013

The KUU Konjac Sponge

Soon after Kiki was born I was invited to trial the KUU Konjac sponge. This product sounded fascinating so I was really intrigued to try it. I used the first sponge and absolutely loved it...but never got around to photographing it before it shriveled up and died. I then lost the second sponge. You lose you mind a bit when you are pregnant and it really doesn't return until you are abut 6 months post-partum so, unfortunately, all of this occurred during that foggy brain period. On the weekend I was sorting through my box of products that need o be reviewed and there was my second Konjac sponge. Hooray! 

KUU Konjac sponge with Green
French Clay

What the hell is a Konjac sponge I hear you ask? Konjac is a traditional Japanese jelly-like health food, made from calcium hydroxide or oxide calcium a type of potato called “konnyaku potato”. It contains water, protein, carbohydrate, lipids, sodium, potassium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, copper, zinc, vitamin A, vitamin E, vitamin D, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin C, pantothenate, niacin, fatty acids, folic acid and dietary fibre with a total of 16 amino acids. The Japanese have used the Konjac for more than a century, as a beauty treatment for their delicate skins.

How Does KUU Konjac Sponge work: what they say: The KUU Konjac Sponge gently cleanses and soothes the skin by removing dirt and oil, naturally restoring the pH level of the skin. Cleansing helps to stimulate blood flow and encourage new skin cells, revitalising the complexion without damaging the skin. The KUU Konjac sponge is highly absorbent in both water and oils and is excellent for thorough cleansing of impurities. The pH level of the sponge is an alkaline and has the function to break down dirt and neautralise acidic and oily areas. After just one use you will feel the difference by cleansing with the KUU Konjac Sponge, your skin will feel revitalised and your skin care routine will have been transformed.


The edges are great for hard to get to areas like around the nose


What I say: I was told that I could use the sponge without cleanser - just on it's own so I tested it both on its own and with a few different cleansers.

If my skin wasn't feeling too dirty, I just used the sponge on it's own. I would massage it over my face and let it gently clean my face. It felt really nice and gentle on my skin. The sponge comes with a string so that you can hang it in your shower. This is perfect for me on days when I am having lightening speed showers. Ordinarily, I wouldn't bother cleansing (the shower water counts, right??!!). I can now quickly use this to cleanse and at least feel like I am doing a better job!

Usually, however, I will use the Konjac sponge with a cleanser. I have tried both foaming and cream cleansers and it works great with both. You actually use less cleanser as the sponge makes it go further. The really interesting thing with the sponge is that it prevents your skin from drying out. I have used it with cleansers that usually leaving my skin feeling tight and dry but when used with the Konjac sponge it actually feels completely normal. I really enjoy using the Konjac sponge - I much prefer using it than using cleanser on its own or a face washer. 

The sponge lasts around 2 months of daily use. You can tell when it is dying as it starts to go hard and shrivel up.

The sponges are available in four types, Pure (suit all skin types), Red French Clay (for dry skin that needs rehydrating or the more mature skin), Green French Clay (normal to oily combination skin) and Baby (this is a rectangular sponge, ideal for baby and infant bath times).


The KUU Konjac sponges can be purchased online for $7.95-$8.95. Check out the KUU Konjac website for how to purchase.


What do you use to cleanse your skin? Straight cleanser or do you have an equally nifty cleansing tool?


All opinions are my own and I received no remuneration for this post. The Konjac sponge was provided for consideration.