Tuesday, 23 July 2013

My Bodytrim Journey: week 5


Well, after four great weeks on Bodytrim I was due for a bad week and that came last week. I had a shit week and, unfortunately, had my least compliant week. On the plus, I didn't gain any weight but I also didn't lose any (edit: I have just finished writing this post and uploaded my photos only to notice that I actually did lose 500g. The kids were really sick last week, hence my shit week. I was so damn tired I must have looked at last weeks scales photo and assumed it was this weeks one! I think I might be losing my mind a little bit!). Anyone who has been following my journey is probably looking at the photo below thinking, hey...wasn't she 67.2kgs last week - that's an awesome result...I thought so too...until I realised the scales were wrong. Notice the white thing near my left foot - that is the door stopper which Kiki had pulled off the door and shoved under the scale. I usually do my weigh ins in the living room but this day did it in the bathroom and didn't notice the door stopper. At this stage I knew I was having a shit week (both diet wise and in general) and so when I saw that I had dropped nearly 2kgs in less than a week I was so excited! I dropped any notions of doing this journey, slowly and sensibly and though woohoo...Bodytrim has fixed my metabolism so that I can start eating treats again and actually LOSE weight! Now, I didn't feel like I had lost any weight, my clothes weren't looser, my tummy didn't seem any less flabby but the scales said otherwise so I believed it. The next morning I thought I'd weigh myself again, and sure enough, I got the same result, so it must be correct. The Crazy Kid was watching me so I got him to jump on the scales just to double check my result. The last time I weighed him (5 weeks ago)  he was 14.9kgs, now he was 13.3kgs...dammit the scales were lying! I picked them up to take them into the living room and that's when I noticed the door stopper - it must have been supporting some of my weight. Sure enough, I was back in the 67's where I expected to be.




This little incident reminded me of a funny story from my youth (skip this paragraph if you aren't interested in random stories and want to get back onto my week 5 on Bodytrim). This happened when I was about 24 and had recently moved out of home. I would have been in the second year of my PhD and, if I am perfectly honest, a bit of a wanker when it came to my intelligence and impending doctor status. Back then I thought I was 'above' vanity, that I didn't care about such frivolous things as my weight. It was around Christmas time and I had been over indulging. Back then I weighed about 59kgs and so weighed myself to see how much damage I had done over the Christmas period. To my surprise I had dropped 2kgs - I was 57kgs. Woohoo. So, I continued gorging myself on all of the chocolates that Santa had brought me. I weighed myself a couple of days later and lost another 2kgs. It was crazy - the weight was just falling off me! Now, mind you, my clothes were feeling tight and I was definitely feeling flabby but that didn't matter because I was losing weight! When I next weighed myself I was 52kgs - I hadn't been that weight for a couple of years - it was seriously amazing. I continued to marvel as my dramatic weight loss until I hit 45kgs, the weight I was at 12 before puberty had kicked in, when it finally occurred to me that the scales were actually broken. So, even though my clothes didn't get any looser, visually I wasn't shrinking, I actually believed that I was losing all of this weight and was happy about it. This little episode made me realise that I shouldn't trust the scales - that how my clothes are fitting is a better indicator of my weight; and, also, that there was nothing wrong with being concerned about your appearance. I can safely say that I am much less of a wanker these days!!

Anyway, back to Bodytrim. I will go through my results, then go through why this was a shit week and where I fell off the wagon.

Weigh In:
Starting weight: 72.5kgs
Weight after week 1: 69.4kgs
Weight after week 2: 68.7kgs
Weight after week 3: 68.1kgs
Weight after week 4: 67.2kgs
Weight after week 5: 66.7kgs
Loss in last week = -0.5kgs
Total weight loss: -5.8kgs  




Measurements:
Starting waist - 89cm
Waist after week 1: 83cm
Waist after week 2: 80cm
Waist after week 3: 79cm
Waist after week 4: 78cm
Waist after week 5: 76cm
Loss in last week = -2cm 
Total Loss = -13cm 

Starting hips - 105cm
Hips after week 1: 102 cm
Hips after week 2: 101.5cm
Hips after week 3: 99cm
Hips after week 4: 99cm
Hips after week 5: 99cm
Loss in last week = 0cm
Total Loss = -6cm

Starting thighs - 57cm
Thighs after week 1: 54cm
Thighs after week 2: 54cm
Thighs after week 3: 53cm
Thighs after week 4: 52cm
Thighs after week 5: 53cm
Gain in last week = 1 cm
Total Loss = -4 cm

Starting arms - 29cm
Arms after week 1: 30cm
Arms after week 2: 30cm
Arms after week 3: 30cm
Arms after week 4: 30cm
Arms after week 5: 29cm
Loss in last week = -1cm
Total loss = 0cm


Starting chest - 95cm
Chest after week 1: 93cm
Chest after week 2: 90cm
Chest after week 3: 90cm
Chest after week 4: 87cm
Chest after week 5: 87cm
Loss in last week = 0cm
Total Loss = -8cm


My results weren't too bad considering that I didn't have such a great week. Why was my week so shit? Mostly because the kids were sick. There is nothing more draining than nursing sick kids. They keep you up all night then are so needy during the day. Because they were sick it meant I was disorganised with grocery shopping, meaning that I was without appropriate snacks and meals at times. I was also super fatigued so was back to craving energy dense foods to give me a boost.

The last week I found I was really craving carbs again. This is the first time I have felt these cravings since being on Bodytrim and on a couple of days I couldn't withstand the temptation. I didn't full on blow out but I had a couple of lollies on one day and I made the kids blueberry pancakes for breakfast one day and the little turds didn't eat them...The Crazy Kid told me he wanted nice shop ones, not mummy cook ones. Thanks buddy! So there was a plate of these pancakes sitting there teasing me and I had a couple. It actually took me most of the week to realise that my carb cravings were hormonal related. After not having a period for nearly two years between being pregnant then breast feeding I had forgotten what it was like. At least I will now be prepared next month and will plan ahead and bake lots of Bodytrim compliant cookies and other snacks that feel carby to trick my damn hormones!

I had two functions on the weekend - a third birthday party and a baby shower, so I had planned to make one of these days my free day. However, The Crazy Kid was really sick on Friday and that meant I was couch bound the entire day (he screamed his head off if I even tried to get up to go to the toilet). I had bought lamb koftas for dinner but we had no veggies in the house so we decided to have pizza and I made that my free day. Bodytrim is good in that you get a free day, so you are allowed to 'fall off the wagon', as such, once a week and not feel guilty. I have to admit, though, that I felt a little bit ripped off in that I had been fairly compliant the whole day - that I didn't get to have the few things I have been missing, like milo, on my free day (because I decided at the end of the day to make it my free day). To make up for it, I have bought a block of Lindt Dark Chocolate with a touch of sea salt for my free day next week. It will have been six weeks since I last had chocolate so hopefully I can stick to just two squares...that will be the challenge! The first function had heaps of protein foods that I could munch on, so there were no issues there (though it was a huge tease not having a slice of birthday cake). The second function dn't really have anything that I could eat. I had brought Crazy with me and left a very sick Kiki at home with hubby and he just wanted to play outside rather than stay inside where the party was. That meant that I was able to avoid temptation there (but then didn't snack on anything which isn't great on Bodytrim - I'll explain more below). On the way home I got Crazy Maccas as we would get home too late for hs dinner and I didn't want him to fall asleep in the cr. I was starving so got myself some chicken McBites - the most proteiny thing that I could think of (but I suspect they were prob still pcked with carbs).

As well as having the odd carb treat throughout the week, I also had a hot chocolate on Sunday night. I was froze to the bone and it was all I wanted. I tried to make it as Bodytrim compliant as I could - I made it with the mocha protein shake with extra cocoa added, so it wasn't too bad, but it was made with milk which you are only supposed to have in the morning. I guess it is still better than my previous recipe of 1/3 milo, 2/3 milk!

The other area where I was non-Bodytrim compliant was that I skipped a few meals - not intentionally, but with the kids being sick I slipped back into the old habit of not looking after myself. This highlighted that I need to be more organised  have a few instant meals on hand for days like this. Also, I need to keep appropriate snacks in my handbag to avoid a Maccas run on the way home.

One Bodytrim service that I have been utilising the last couple of weeks is support from a nutritionist. Each Thursday she rings to hat with me and see how I am going. I am finding this hugely beneficial. Last week I was feeling really lost in my snack options so she gave me a few options that  hadn't thought of. This week I mentioned that I hadn't en sticking to the Bodytrim potion size (ie main meals are meant to be about 150g of protein whilst I would be having closer to 250g). Shesaid that it was ok to cook up the full 250g but should try and only have the recommended 150g with my main mean and, if  am still hungry in an hour, have the rest of the portion.

Well, that was my week 5. Hopefully the next week will be a little bit better (I am having a wisdom tooth out on Thus so may be feeling a little sooky so we will see how that affects me!).

I just want to finish with this picture that I saw the picture below doing the rounds on Facebook and it made me laugh. I though, oh crap, they are talking about me...but then decided that if you have made it to the end of this post and the others, then you do want to hear about my diet!




Follow the rest of my journey here