Monday, 17 June 2013

My Bodytrim journey: Day 0 - reality check

I have now commenced my weight loss journey (you can read about why I am taking this journey and my weight history here). I received my Bodytrim kit last week and have been working through the DVDs. So, what is Bodytrim? Before starting this trial, I had thought that it was one of those shakes and meal replacement diets but have been pleasantly surprised to learn that it is a whole lot more. It is actually an education program, created by Geoff Jowett, that teaches what you can eat and when. Geoff is a former personal trainer (in fact personal trainer of the year) and has spent 16 years researching the science of weightloss. The Bodytrim program promises that can still eat all the foods you love. As I am yet to start, I can't confirm that, but sure hope that it is true! When you purchase a Bodytrim kit, you receive a box containing seven DVDs and three audio CDs that teach you absolutely everything you could possibly need to know to be successful in your weight loss journey; a pedometer; tape measure; food diary; visual inspiration poster; and a comprehensive reference manual to flick through if you need reminding of what you learnt in the videos. The manual also has a huge number of recipes. In addition, when you purchase your Bodytrim kit, you get 30 online access to the Trim Club where you can find more recipes, enter you weight and measures plus get live access to nutritionists.



The Weigh In
I have been living in a state of denial for the last year. My scales ran out of batteries and I never bothered replacing them. When my Bodytrim kit arrived, I promptly replaced the batteries in my scales an weighed myself and was shocked to discover that I was 72.2kgs. I weighed 68kgs the day I have birth to The Crazy Kid and I was 72kg the day I had Kiki. So, how could I possibly be the same weight, or even heavier, than I was at 9 months pregnant?

A couple of hours before Kiki was born...and I am exactly the same weight
toady as I am in this photo


I am 164cm tall. I looked up my ideal weight (on the Bupa website) and found it to be 54-67kgs. That meant that I am over 5kgs overweight. I was actually quite shocked by is. I knew that I was wobbly and carrying too much fat but never considered myself to be overweight. I honestly thought that I would still be within the healthy weight range for my height. Not quite believing it, I calculated my Body Mass Index (BMI - I used this calculator. You are considered overweight when your BMI is between 25-30. Mine was 26.844. Overweight. A real reality check.



I used to watch The Biggest Loser and marvel how the contestants could allow themselves to get so big.Whilst I am not in the vicinity of those contestants, I now get it. It really does sneak up on you. I have put on 20kgs in the last 10 years, yet mentally I still feel like the athletic little thing that I was in my 20's, despite the fact that the only exercise I do these days is walking. I guess I am just lucky that I have had my reality check when I just have 10kgs to lose and am only slightly over weight. Another 5 years of eating the way I was then who knows...

One thing strongly suggested in the Bodytrim program is to write down your goals. If you write them down you are more likely to achieve them. So, here are my goals:

My Goals

  • I would like to lose 10kgs by my birthday (22nd September) - I am giving myself 3 months to achieve this goal, which I think is realistic (10kgs in 15 weeks). This will take me right into the middle of my healthy weight range for my height (54-67gs)
  • I used to be a size 8 on top and a size 10 pants. Now I am a size 12 all over (and that is starting to feel a little bit tight). I would like to be a size 10 all over (after breast feeding I don't think it would be realistic to expect to go back to a size 8 on top).
  • I want to drastically cut back on the amount of sugar that I am consuming and, once more, gain a healthy mindset about food. I want treats to actually be treats and not something that I eat everyday.
  • Drink more water. Such a small goal but I drink next to no water. I was having a coffee first thing in the morning and could easily go to mid afternoon before having another drink. I think part of the reason I snack and graze is that I am mistaking thirst for hungry.

Before Measurements

Waist: 89cm
Hips: 105cm
Thighs: 57cm
Arms: 29cm
Chest: 95cm

I am not too concerned about my chest measurements. I only finished breast feeding a bit over a month ago so my boobs are in their own state of remodelling, regardless of the diet. I am hoping to lose cms from my lower half, though - my stomach, hips and thighs.

Before photo

Initially, I felt quite uneasy about the thought of posting 'before' photos. Before photos are only good when you have an amazing 'after' photo next to them! But, the truth is, I am not ashamed of my body. It is strong and it grew me two beautiful babies. However, it is currently carrying too much fat and so it is time for me to be kind to it, get it healthy again and bring it back into the ideal weight range for my height.

You can see my face looks fuller than in the pregnancy
photo above.




I never used to have issues with my stomach area but as you can I still have a fair amount of overhang and loose skin in this area. It is probably the area that I most want to lose fat from.

So, there you have it. I have officially commence my journey. Actually, today was my first day on the diet and already I am becoming aware of how much snacking, especially of my kids food, that I would do during the day. I bought The Crazy Kid some raspberry lollies after preschool and when he asked me to open the packed my first action was to grab a couple before returning the packet. I stopped myself before eating them but this is the sort of thing I do all day. Kiki was rejecting her dinner so I went to eat it off the spoon before realising. She then left the most delicious looking strawberries on her plate...man I wanted those!

Anyway, I will explain more about exactly what I have to eat and what I couldn't eat in my wrap up of week 1, next Monday.

Wish my luck for the next week.


Is anyone else on a weight loss journey at the moment?