Monday, 3 June 2013

Live Well. Go Orange: 10 oranges in 10 days

For the last year I have been eating terribly. I have an abundance of excuses:

  • I breast fed Kiki for nearly a year. When you first start breast feeding it makes you so bloody hungry that you want to eat your baby. That is frowned upon in society so I turned to cakes, biscuits and a lot of chocolate instead. 
  • Around 6 months ago, when Kiki went on solids and the intense hunger subsided; however, 6 months of poor eating meant that bad habits had formed and that it was perfectly normal to drink a hot chocolate through a Tim Tam straw (or 3) for breakfast.
  • The fatigue of looking after two young kids is intense, especially as, until recently, at least one of them was waking up during the night. And this was happening more than once a night. And, to top it off, Kiki was really sensitive to caffeine. If I was to have even a single coffee in the morning, or a Coke during the day, Kiki would be up partying during the night...further compounding the fatigue. So, I had to cut caffeine out of my diet which meant that my relationship with sugar became even stronger.
  • Preparing meals for babies and toddlers and husbands is both exhausting and mind numbing. Once I had made their food I couldn't be arsed making myself anything nutritious. Unless I had leftovers to eat, my meals would almost always come out of a packet.
  • I usually end up skipping breakfast as mornings are hectic but that just means that I have zero self control when it comes to snacking choices later in the day as I am ravenous. 
  • The last few weeks Lindt chocolate has bloody well been $1.88/block at Coles, Woolworths and Thomas Dux. I couldn't escape it. And, to make matters worse, at Thomas Dux they had a massive barrel of blocks of Lindt right at the check out so when I popped in to buy The Crazy Kid's bananas I somehow ended up waking out with 4 blocks of Lindt.
All of this crappy eating has left me feeling, well, crappy to be honest. Therefore, when I was invited to take part in the Live Well, Go Orange challenge to eat 10 oranges in 10 days I decided that I might use this as motivation to clean up my eating habits. I am hoping to, at the very least, replace chocolate with an orange as my after dinner sweet treat. It doesn't matter how much I have for dinner, I don't feel satisfied until I have had something sweet, so hopefully an orange will make the cut.

So, why Live Well, Go Orange? We all know that oranges are jam packed with Vitamin C - and as we are entering the cold and flu season, we could all do with a boost in our Vitamin C intake. Vitamin C is a water soluble vitamin (as opposed to fat soluble) and so the body can't store Vitamin C. Therefore, it needs to be consumed each day. An orange contains 64mg of Vitamin C, which is over 1.5 times the daily recommended intake.

In addition to being an awesome immune booster, oranges also contain folate (which is necessary for preventing spina bifida in unborn babies), polyphenols and carotenoids (powerful antioxidants that slow down the ageing process) as well as fibre and potassium which help to keep your heart healthy.

I am not expecting to look younger after 10 days but I am hoping to feel healthier. Today was day one and I did have my orange for dessert, which was delicious...but then I followed it up with a slice of cake. so, I still have a long way to go. I really hope that in 10 days time I can report back to you that I have had my 10 oranges and that I haven't had a piece of cake since day one.

If you would like more info on the Live Well. Go Orange challenge then search twitter for #GoOrange or check out Citrus Australia's Facebook Page. One last thing that I would like to add is that when you are buying your oranges, make sure you check where they come from and make an effort to buy local. I often see Navel oranges that have come from the USA in Coles and these are not going to be nearly as fresh and delicious as Australian grown oranges (or, if you are reading this from outside of Australia, try to source oranges that are as local to you as possible). Oranges really are at their best when they are fresh.

So, who is with me and is going to give the Live Well, Go Orange challenge to eat 10 oranges in 10 days this June? I'd love to hear your reasons for giving it a go!


All opinions are my own and I received no remuneration for this post. I was sent 12 oranges to complete this challenge but will no doubt be purchasing more as The Crazy Kid has already gotten stuck into my stash!